Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Love My Garden

Its always great when I can start pulling things out of the garden.  This year we have a lot going on in a space that really shouldn't have that much.  Oh well.  I really like throwing things together and seeing what happens.  This is the first year that my front and side beds are really starting to fill out.  Its hard for me to get full looking beds as I'm always adding new things and moving stuff around.  Last year I didn't move to much since most of it was rather new and that did pay off this year.
The lilies really came out in full force and are stunning.  I don't remember them being this pretty last year.
 The daisies took off and went a little nuts.  This plant is about 3 years old and really peaked this year.  It is just covered in buds
Last year I planted a raspberry bush.  It didn't do much as the sunflowers I planted over grew and shaded it.  I was worried that I had killed the poor little thing since it was barely a twig at the end of the season.  I left it alone in hope that it was just playing dead.  Turns out it was just biding its time.
I'm already seeing baby raspberries.
 If you look closely at the big bush picture you can see the strawberries along the bottom.  That all is one plant that I made last year.  The plants are just covered in berries all waiting to be eaten.  Most don't make it into the house as the kids both like them warm and right off the plant.

The row of cucumbers that I planted are all doing well.  These are lemon ones.  The row of regular ones all died for some odd reason.  I think it may be due to me letting Miss B do the planting on that row.  Oh well at least she's out there helping me.
Small pepper plants.  I think that the broccoli and the cauliflower are over shadowing them to much.  Hopefully they will get a little bigger and I start seeing blooms on them.  One of them is a spicy cherry pepper plant.  I can't remember which one it is, so I'm hoping they both bloom.
Baby tomatoes!  I'm always excited when I start seeing these.  I planted a few different varieties this year.  The only one that didn't make it was the yellow jellybean, a type of grape tomato.  For some reason it refused to grow.  I also have three "wild" tomato plants.  The came up in the area of the bed that I planted them in last year.  I'm leaving them alone in hopes that I get fruit off of them. 

I have a ton of other plants in those beds as well but I wasn't able to get good pictures out of them.  There pumpkins, squash, watermelons, and okra are all doing well.  None of them look like much, but I'm please with their growth so far.  I also have peas, beans, beets, and carrots interspersed with the other plants.  Like I said before I may have over done it.  It will be nice this year to be able to eat out of the garden instead of the supermarket.  I may even try canning some of it if I have enough!