Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Here it is the new year and I'm going to really really try to keep up with this blog. (No, really I am.)

So up first my holiday tale of woe. Here I thought that we were going to have a great holiday season. Butter is old enough now to recognize X-mas and Santa so she was super excited. My parents came down from Ohio for a week or so. We were set for who was hosting what meals and events. It was turning into a great time. Then the Sat before I skidded on a mat. Literately skidded about 6-8 inches. Caught myself on a railing, thanked the gods for not falling in front of a bunch of people and went on my merry way. Sun I woke up to my back just killing me. I figured I had pulled a muscle or 12 took some drugs and waited for Mon. Mon I saw the chiropractor and felt so much better. My back quit hurting so I took it easy and watched what I did. Tues I woke up with pain going down my left leg, but no back pain. Figured that I had inflamed the disc that I screwed up in High School since I was having the same type of pain, so I went to the doc for something stronger than OTC meds as they weren't touching it. He agreed with me and gave me a script for Vicodin, told me to take advil on top for the swelling and to come back if it got worse.

Fast forward to X-mas day. I was hurting so bad that I couldn't get out of bed. I missed seeing Kira go out and see what Santa brought her since I was still in bed. Dad and Kevin came and got me out of bed and to the couch. They wanted to take me to the ER right away, but I said no I was going to watch Butter open gifts and then I would go. (Looking back, I should have gone then since I really don't remember opening gifts due to the pain.) Joy and Tamir came up for the opening of gifts, so Joy volunteered to take me to the ER. Surprisingly for X-mas day the visit was relatively quick, the gave me a shot of Morphine, Valium, and Toradol ( a strong anti-inflammatory,) along with a script for Percocet. since they thought the same thing the doc did.

Sat we had professional pictures scheduled since we had everyone here. Everyone asked me if I wanted to cancel them since I was still feeling really bad. I said no, and put on a brave face and went. Even with me in pain the pictures turned out really great. Halfway through them, I realised that I really needed to go back to the doc as the pain was worse then ever. So Mom took me to the ER this time. It didn't take the docs long to realise just how bad it was, bad enough that they admitted me to the hospital. A MRI was done and they found out that it wasn't the old injury that was causing the issue it was a new one. Turns out that I ruptured the disc below the that one all due to a little skid.

I got to spend 5 days in the hospital hooked up to a morphine drip, I got a cortizone shot on Tues and they send me home on New Years Eve. It was way fun let me tell ya. Thankfully for Kevin my Mom was able to rearrange her schedule so that he had some help with the kids while I was gone. I am so grateful to the family for stepping up and taking care of the kids and house while I was there.

So here I am two weeks later and I still am having issues with my back and leg. I saw my doc this week and he said wait and see what the neurosurgeon says. I get to see him next week. Yay. I know that they are going to do at least one more shot, but I'm really crossing my fingers that this doesn't turn into back surgery.